- Group2 was voted as the best learning environment! Congratulations!! Group 2 earns late pass. Please come to see me for the late pass.
- 2nd reading assignment is due today. REMEMBER that your points will be deducted if you submitted the assignment late.
- Check your score for the learning environment design assignment. If you have any concern about your score, please contact me ASAP.
PART ONE. Review of the Reading
Use of technologies to enhance communication and collaboration
NETS Standard for Communication and Collaboration
Students use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others. Students:
a. interact, collaborate, and publish with peers, experts, or others employing a variety of digital environments and media.
b. communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences using a variety of media and formats.
c. develop cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with learners of other cultures.
d. contribute to project teams to produce original works or solve problems.
This is what is expected of 21st century learners. How can a teacher do this and still make sure students understand shapes, the causes of the Civil War, parts of speech, and the phases of the moon? And don’t forget – they are supposed to differentiate, be culturally responsive, make sure materials are accessible to all students and a host of other expectations. Oh – and the learning should be engaging to students.
Some concepts to know…
- collaboration and cooperation
- synchronous and asynchronous
PART TWO. Learning about Web 2.0 and Social Media
What technology is available to help the process of communication and collaboration in K12 learning environments?
- The Read AND Write web: Consumer and Creator
Web 2.0 comprises of Social Media websites. Social Media refer to web-sites that allow interactive communication online. Email is one of the social media. You use an email to communicate with your friends, teachers, and family. Other examples? Social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter; Social photo/video sharing site such as YouTube. SO, Social media have a great capacity to support communication and collaboration in a classroom.
One more Web 2.0 tool I want to introduce: RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds
- We will start the social media strategy project. In this project you will explore various social media.